Please join us in our beatiful nation’s Capital for a time to catch up with colleagues and make new friends! A dedicated team of DC, Maryland, and Virginia RAMSCA members are having fun planning this event for all. We'll have a variety of activites to include a mix of education, fun, and service. Consider making your visit longer vacation as there is always so much to do here. If you haven’t seen DC in awhile, you will be amazed by the many changes.
Our meeting will be centered at the Hilton Inn Springfield, at the I-495-I95-I-395 interchange and across the street from the Springfield Mall. The physical address is 6550, Loisdale Rd, Springfield, VA 22150-1801.
Please make your own hotel reservations online or by phone. Online, book your room here: http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/S/SPRSHHF-RA0926-20190926/index.jhtml
The telephone number is 1-703-971-8900.
Group rates,Thur-Sat nights, average $109 per night. If you are not a Hilton honors program member, enroll for free online in order to have a free breakfast with your hotel stay. There is free parking for those of us who will be driving.
Please register ASAP. Use this form to register: RAMSCA Meeting Regististration Form. Make checks payable to RAMSCA and send your registration form and check to arrive not later than 31 August 2019 to: Karen Hobson, 4801 S. Ben Williams Rd, Columbia, MO 65201-7455
Travel To/From the Hotel
You have a choice of three international airports:
- Washington Reagan Airport in downtown DC
- Dulles Airport in Virginia
- Baltimore Washington Airport in Maryland
Washington Reagan is the closest to our hotel venue. Options for getting to the hotel from Washington Reagan include:
- Use the Metro Subway Blue Line to the Franconia/Springfield stop and then call the hotel for free pick up (703-971-8900), or
- Take Uber or Cab to hotel… short 10 miles away (about $40)
Weather in September
Weather at this time of year can vary. Daily highs usually range from 74-83 degrees and rarely fall below 64 or exceed 92.
Of course there isn’t any official dress code, but the nature of the city finds its inhabitants veering slightly towards the dressier side. Think classic with a touch of prep and you’ll blend right in!
Thursday, Sept 26
- Board of Directors Meeting
- RAMSCA Meeting Registration/Check-in begins at 4pm
- Evening social and reception will feature a bar and appetizers and include an evening show featuring the magical and mental mysteries of Paul “Doc” Hoehner… (along with the help of his lovely assistant, our member Sheryl Hoenher).
Friday, Sept 27
- General Membership Meeting with a Corps Update
- Visit to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (at Bethesda)
- Tour of the Lincoln summer house on the grounds of the “Old Soldiers’ Home”
- Awards Banquet at the Hilton featuring BG Beth Salisbury as guest speaker
Note: We will try to do some site-seeing stops on the bus, as possible.
Saturday, Sept 28
- Arlington Cemetery Wreath Laying (RAMSCA will participate in ceremony)
- Visit and lunch at the Women’s Memorial
- Site-seeing in Old Town Alexandria, VA with an optional boat tour on the Potomac from Alexandria to Georgetown and back (https://www.potomacriverboatco.com/sightseeing-tours)
- Dinner at the Gadsby Tavern and Restaurant (https://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com)
Note: We will try to leave time to tour the Gadsby Museum.
Sunday, Sept 29
For those who are not leaving the city…. We will make plans to have brunch at the Fort Belvoir Club which overlooks the Potomac River.
Other Site Seeing Options
If you haven’t visited the DC area in a while, there are many new attactions plus new buildings going up everywhere! A few places you may want to check out:
- WW II Memorial/Monument (we will try to squeeze this in while we’re on the bus tour)
- Additional Monuments: FDR, MLK, Korean, Vietnam plus the Jefferson, Lincoln
- African American History Museum (need to get advanced tickets on line)
- Newseum at its new location (555 Pennsylvania Ave NW) near the Art Gallery
- National Archives has been remodeled and has a new Women’s Equality exhibit featuring the 19th Amendment
- The Library of Congress is also exhibiting a special on Women’s Suffrage history
- Nationals Park—Home of the Washington Nationals baseball team is at “home” during our meeting if you want to get tickets. There are great restaurants built around the stadium area, too.
- Naval Academy Chapel Services on Sundays; a great destination if you have never been there but will require a car.